Thursday, November 12, 2015

Farewell Chanaute!

In the blink of an eye, my two months of volunteering in Chanaute has come to an end. I'll never forget the people and the experience of living in this remote village of Nepal. From the bewildered looks on the faces of Mina and Bina, the clinic midwives, on that cloudy afternoon in September when I arrived with two giant suitcases in tow and not speaking barely a word of Nepali (beyond Namaste!), to the fond farewells that have taken place over the past few days, it's been a wonderful experience.



I will miss Mina, Bina and Copola who run this clinic seven days a week and without whom I could never have treated all the patients who have come for acupuncture. I will miss the warm smiles and friendly "Namastes" of the people who I have treated over these past two months as well as the invitations to join them for tea or dinner in their homes.



I will also miss the hikes along the endless trails through the serene mountains and the natural beauty of this village tucked along the Melamchi River. I will miss the sheer enthusiasm that comes beaming forth nearly every time I say "Nameste" as I meet or pass by the children of Chanaute and the nearby villages. And finally, I will miss the young friends I have made and who I have posted about several times before: Saugut, Rakesh, Suman and Karki.

A few days prior to the day I was to depart, everyone agreed that it would be best if I left on the 6:15 am bus to ensure I was able to get a seat for the four hour return trip to Kathmandu (especially because it was during the holidays and many people would be trying to go visit relatives). I assumed that any good byes would take place the day prior since I'd be leaving so early. At least, that is what we would normally do in America. So I was very surprised to awake at 5:30 am and discover over a dozen people came out to give me a warm send off with tika, maalais (flower garlands) and khadas (ceremonial scarves) and then walk with me to the bus stop. It's just another example of the loving kindness of the people of Chanaute that I will never forget.







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Nepal

No comments:

Post a Comment