Friday, October 23, 2015

Final 24 Hours in Pokhara

My time has run out quickly here in Pokhara but in the past 24 hours I was able to check out Devi Falls then make my way over to the International Mountain Museum.



The museum has exhibits on how the Himalayas were formed; the different Sherpa tribes and info on their culture; the 14 peaks in the world that are over 8000 meters and who and when were the first ascenders to summit them; as well as the impact of climate change and especially the effects of black carbon on the Himalayas. Before I went to the museum, I read some reviews which were almost all positive, but one person commented that they felt like the admission price was high for what you got. I spent about 2 hours in the museum and the cost was $400 NPR or roughly $4 USD. I'd say it was quite a bargain.



Quick summary on black carbon is that it comes from the burning of any fuel source that does not fully combust, like firewood or diesel fuels. Much of the black smoke you see here in Nepal ultimately settles on the Himalayan snow which causes it to warm faster (black absorbs light, white reflects it), thus causing the snow or glaciers to melt faster.
I also uploaded a couple of short video snippets from the museum showing how India was once it's own separate continent and when it slammed into Eurasia, the Himalayas were formed, which is the youngest mountain range on the planet.

You can cut and paste this link if you wish to check them out. https://www.youtube.com/user/chiguydave1/

This morning I got up early one last time to take a ride up to Sarangkot to see one final sunrise over the Annapurna range as well as a view over Pokhara and Lake Phewa (which you can't see from the Australian camp) before heading to the airport for my flight back to Kathmandu.






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Baidam Rd,,Nepal

No comments:

Post a Comment