Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Journey and Blog Goals Midpoint Review

Today marks the end of the first half of my journey to Nepal. So today I thought I'd revisit my goals for this journey and also
my blog.

#1 - To provide the people of Chanaute and the nearby villages who have very limited access to healthcare with an additional affordable healthcare option by offering acupuncture and herbal medicine.
#2 - To help educate the local Nepalis on health risks they face and how to try to avoid them.
#3 - To show the people of Nepal that the world hasn't forgotten them after the devastating earthquake last spring and to restart the line of acupuncture volunteers after a nearly five month break without anyone to provide acupuncture.

I mostly feel that I'm achieving my first goal although I've had to work without a full time translator, which has definitely made this more challenging. The second goal is even more difficult without a strong translator, so I've not been able to make much progress here. On the last goal, I've been able to restart acupuncture treatments here after a 5 month gap, however, there is no word yet on if someone is lined up to take my place after I depart.

As for my blog, in a perfect world I would have set out some goals for this before I started writing it, but instead I've been shooting from the hip and hoping I hit the target (i.e. posting things that are worth reading). So today I finally gave it some thought and here is what I hope you get out of this blog.
#1 - To provide my family and friends a way to follow my journey and know that I am safe, especially in light of of recent events in Nepal last spring.
#2 - To learn about the people, politics, religion, and culture of Nepal and what it's like to live in a rural village in one of the poorest countries in the world.
#3 - To learn a little about Buddhist philosophy and the Hindu religion that the majority of the Nepalis practice.
#4 - To share the beauty of Nepal, both it's geography and it's people.
#5 - To provide everyone who donated to Mindful Medicine Worldwide to help make this trip possible with feedback on how their donations have helped the people of Chanaute and the nearby villages.
#6 - To inspire others to volunteer their time to benefit others in whatever way possible, big or small.
#7 - Where possible, to share information that helps you understand your own body and health a little better.
#8 - To make you laugh or at least bring a smile to your face.

On that note I'll conclude with a couple of pictures of my hiking guides from last Saturday (Karki, age 13 and Suman, age 12). The panoramic picture utilizes a little trick to make the subjects look like they're in two different places at once.












- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Yes, i would say you are meeting your goals! Did you tell them about your nieces and nephews?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've told them that I have nieces and nephews around their ages. Of course, they want to know why I don't have any children of my own. :-)

    ReplyDelete