Thursday, October 8, 2015

View from outside my Window

In earlier postings I've mentioned that I've been drawing some during my off time here in Chanaute. Drawing is something that I have enjoyed as an occasional hobby from time to time in the past, but because of school, I've not done any drawing in several years.
Before departing on this trip, I read a travel blog about how sketching during your travels could be an enjoyable way to document your adventure while forcing you to take more time and really look closely at the finer details of the wonderful place you've traveled to.
Below is a picture I took from just outside my room above the clinic.






And here is my drawing of that view on a sunny day (hence no clouds):





My drawing includes a slightly wider view as well as a few artistic liberties, like adding in the bus that comes by several times a day.
I'm not sure how much more drawing I'll be able to do while I'm here in Nepal as I'm very slow (I wasn't keeping track of how long this drawing took me, but I'm sure it was at least four hours spread over the past three weeks). I'm guessing the person who wrote the travel blog was a much better and faster artist than I am and could churn out a nice sketch in an hour or so.
In the end, I think by far the best part of doing this drawing was the interest of what I was up to followed by the enthusiastic reaction that I got from the local Nepali kids who were curious about what I was drawing. Which brings me to one other point that the travel blogger mentioned in her post. She said that an additional benefit of sketching your adventure is that it forces you to sit in one place for an extended period of time which inevitably draws the interest of those around you. This creates the opportunity to interact with the local people that one would likely never have otherwise. I must say I'm in emphatic agreement with her on this point.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Nepal

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea! I had the kids draw David in Florence, but I will have them do scenes next time. You're

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christine! I look forward to seeing the kids future drawings!

    ReplyDelete